Pages

1 May 2014

Distinguished Leaves by Elizabeth Darcy Jones

You wait all year for me to review a collection of poetry and in the space of a few days, here's another!

I came across Elizabeth during a particularly refreshing exchange of banter on Twitter. Elizabeth is the House Poet for a wickedly enticing tearoom in Tisbury (Beatons Tearooms and Bookshop) – one look at the cakes and I was sold! – but we finally met at another venue, this time supporting the Purbeck Literary Festival at the Worth Matravers Tea & Supper Rooms.

What does all that have to do with my review? Everything! The setting, the scones, the performance of the poet – it was all perfectly brewed and I knew I had to read Elizabeth's collection.

We're all a tea, apparently. Elizabeth considers Earl Grey to be 'such a Nigel Havers of a tea' – but you need to read his foreword to discover if he agrees!

This is, as you might expect, a refreshingly uplifting collection of poems - whatever your choice of leaf, it's bound to appear. Mine? I'm never far from a mug of Camomile...a coward, weak and prone to sleeping...that's the tea, not me, I think.

Visit Elizabeth's website via this link – and see what else she has brewing!

And I nearly forgot – this is a lovely collection, I bought it for myself to enjoy but if you prefer tea for two, maybe you could buy it as a gift?!