Pages

15 April 2012

Magenta Shaman Stones The Crow by Lily Childs

I’ve been tardy in meeting Magenta Shaman. Lily Childs' creation, a ‘natural born shaman’ already has a cult following. I may be at the back of that pack, but I am now a fully paid up fan.

Magenta Shaman Stones The Crow is part of a developing series, but dipping into this particular episode I found a complete story, albeit one that has a past and a future.

The characters in Stones The Crow are well-established from Lily’s previous work. And yet I was still able to have my own relationship with them. It could have been a baffling story, but I instinctively understood.

There’s a mystical elegance to Lily’s writing. I began to imagine her in a room, lit only by candle. Carefully she would ink a talon and perfectly execute each word upon the purest velum. Don’t tell me she sits in an office, please.

As a fan of realism, I was particularly interested in the notes attached to this work. Learning of Lily’s inspiration for the setting gave a fascinating insight into her creative process.

Fans are already asking when Magenta will appear in a full length novel. I’m one of them.


Magenta Shaman Stones The Crow is available to download at Amazon.